The recent tragedy in Fort McMurray forced over 85,000 people from their homes. Many had less than an hour warning that they would need to evacuate. How prepared would you be if this happened to you?
You never know when an emergency will force you to leave in a hurry. Consider keeping an emergency bag in an easy-to-access location near the exit.
Some things you may want to include:
- Bottled water
- First aid kit (include any prescriptions, extra glasses or contact lenses you may need)
- Copies of your driver's license, emergency phone numbers, and other important documents such as your passport, will, insurance and bank documents
- Clean clothes, jacket and hat
- Extra chargers for electronics (e.g. phone)
- Spare keys to everything (car, apartment)
- Money (small bills and/or traveler's cheques)
No one ever wants to be in a situation where they need these things, but being prepared can make things easier if it does happen.
TIP: True emergency preparedness also includes renter's insurance! Make sure yours is up to date.
Credit: Skyline Living